by Kristie Burk
Google Alerts are a quick and easy way to get an email notification whenever Google finds something on a topic that interests you. Go to google.com/alerts and enter your topic. You can also click on the show options link to determine how frequently you want to be emailed, what sources you want to use, what region you want, etc.
I love Google Alerts! For example, I have one set up to email me whenever there is news about the topic “blended learning.” There are some creative ways that you can use Google Alerts, including using it to monitor:
- a topic that your class will be studying
- your own personal name (yikes!)
- postings about your school (great for principals!)
- information about your children (great for parents!)
- hometown news
- blogs about your favorite hobbies or recreational activities
Do you have a creative use for Google Alerts? Let us know at dtowntechchat.wordpress.com.